Daily Spin Volume 6

Another day, another round up of records that I played through. I’m having a terrible month, and even though the holiday season should be full of joy and not about anything else, it’s really crappy. I’ve had to deal with a lot of financial troubles, to the point where everything is on hold. At the same time, I’m trying to hire writers to give me more time to work, and I’m trying to establish all sorts of new things to work on for next year. I want it to be the most productive year in terms of writing yet, and at the same time, I’m trying to register for my next set of classes for college. As long as I am enrolled, I can chip away at that coveted master’s degree. They can’t take it away once I get it, so it’s what I am aiming for right now.

The following records are a mixed bag, mostly from the 2000s, and do not represent everything I listened to. I took time to listen to a mix tape from an up and coming rapper, listened to the albums reviewed recently, ended the day on a fast note with some Pennywise, and am still trying to get through the work day with this post. If you want to get any of these records, do so by clicking the appropriate links, as every sale helps me keep this pirate ship afloat.

Weezer “Weezer” Deluxe Edition (2004) – Weezer’s blue record got a rerelease with 24 tracks and possibly a dvd, I don’t know. The band’s debut was awesome, and I recall them being a fuzzy, buzz driven band in Venice, California before they got famous. Now they are rock gods for the most part, but back then they were just a bunch of nerds with a weird name. This record holds a lot of special moments for me, and it’s not just because they coupled “Buddy Holly” with every Windows computer way back when. It’s because the album really has a good feel, guitar driven all the way, and just a great mix of songs. The extras are cool, but the core of this record is still one of the best debut records ever put together.

The Copyrights “Learn The Hard Way” (2008) – This band keeps coming through the Los Angeles area and I am always broke. In 2008, they put this album out and I was blown away. It starts fast with so much frenzy that you’re going to have a hard time not liking this one. It’s polished, pop, but it’s harder than Greenday’s sophomore record. It feels like a cousin of the Bay Area band and they have been relentlessly touring for the past few years. This feels like it’s a late 90s record coming from Epitaph, but nope, it’s newer, and it’s very good. An excellent choice if you want strong, pop punk, without the pretense or too much angst. It’s incredible.

Death Cab For Cutie “Plans” (2005) – Every morning in Seattle, I would listen to Death Cab For Cutie. I would drive around the city at 4:15 AM and just cruise, listening to the rain, looking at the lights, and just enjoying a coffee. The world was different back then, and I couldn’t snap out of the depression that consumes me. I wish I had a second chance to relive those years, I would’ve made them count. Instead, they are a dream, and this album reminds me of my mistakes. I hate my life sometimes, but this record reminds me of some positive moments.

Veronica “Hope For A Brighter Future” (2001) – I loved this band back in 2001, and when this was released I was one of their biggest fans. They played Cornerstone in 2002, and I was blown away by their live show. I went back to listen to this record, and you know what? It’s not that good any more. There’s something missing, and I’m not sure what it is. Militia Group was huge back then, even putting out the #1 bestselling independent record on interpunk.com, which is incredible. That was Rufio’s “Perhaps, I Suppose”, which is still grand today. I’m not sure what happened to that group, they seemed to put out quality releases. Then again, most labels are dead, including my own, Reject 37 Records.

The Huntingtons “Songs In The Key Of You” (2001) – The Huntingtons kept being pegged as a Christian band, and that may have stifled their influence a bit. They were a “Ramones” style punk rock group with a lot of interesting arrangements. They even put out several releases covering the mighty punk pioneers. This album was s departure for their style, but still holds some great tunes. I don’t know if I like it as much today as I did in 2001, but it’s still worth a listen. There’s even a song about “Back to the Future”, which is something grand.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2KX Create A Lavish Musical Framework Beyond Comparison

In Isolation Paints An Incredible Post Punk Portrait with Tears

SweetEve Bring On A Rocking Sound Worth Your Time